Picking the Right Domain Name

Picking the Right Domain Name

domain names

Choosing a domain name for a website is like choosing a book cover for a novel.  If they are not interesting enough, or don’t properly convey what a website is about, visitors will have no desire to enter them in their browsers.  Yet, excessive creativity doesn’t make for a good domain name either.  Why is this so?  It’s because if a domain name is creative but not keyword-rich, search engine bots won’t be able to index it in search engine listings.  So, ultimately, your domain name must be both catchy yet search engine optimized.  This article will explain how you can achieve both objectives.

Most importantly and foremost you will need to find a popular search engine keyword that can be incorporated into your domain name.  A keyword analyzer can help you in this task.  These can be found pretty easily with a basic search engine query.  When you find one, enter in a keyword that best summarizes the purpose of your website.  The keyword analyzer will return different versions of this keyword.  If the more specific instances can also fit within the nature of your website, choose one.  This is because when it comes to search engine optimization, more specific keywords are better since they are less likely to be used by other webmasters.

Now you can start selecting your actual domain name.  Most domain name companies will allow you to see whether or not your domain name is available.  If it is not available, it will return a list of recommended domain names.  Take advantage of this tool by first entering your selected keyword.  If your keyword as a domain name is not available, consider the suggestions the domain name company gives.  If the main keyword is still included in these suggestions and it ends with .com, consider it.  Otherwise, you will have to be more creative.

For example, you can use ‘filler’ words, numbers or phrases within your domain name to still include your selected keyword.  Fillers could be ‘a,’ ‘an’ or ‘the.’  Search engines tend to not look at these words, so you still have a good shot at getting indexed while having a domain name that is memorable and catchy.  You can also consider fillers at the end of a phrase, such as ’101′.

So, what if you do these things and you still can’t get .com?  Well, there are some situations where it is better to stick with a lesser-used extension because the keyword is just that popular.  Extensions that still get noticed include .net, .biz and .org.  Additionally, you can also consider using country or state-based extensions if you don’t mind international or local-based marketing.  It’s better to be number 1 in France’s version of Google than to be number 200 or worse in America’s version of Google.

To sum it up, choosing a domain name that will get the right buzz from both humans and search engines doesn’t have to be hard.  The keyword analyzer will help you with 90% of your domain name, while your wit with fillers can help you the other 10%.  And, if after an immense amount of pondering, you still can’t get the .com, you can opt for other extensions.

If you enjoyed reading this post I would appreciate your feedback so please share, tweet, google+ and comment.  Thank you

P.S  -  Do you have enough leads?  If your upline doesn’t have a step-by-step blueprint for success then check this out HERE (Unless You Already Have Too Many Leads)
P.P.S. – For $1 why not try out our all in one tool suite, saving you almost $500 a month – for 7 days it has to be worth trying – doesn’t it?  Click HERE for more info …………… We can help you stay focused …………..
Votes: 0
E-mail me when people leave their comments –

You need to be a member of syndication express to add comments!

Join syndication express


  • Thank you Timothy

  • Great Info Merle!

  • Thank you Sandy

  • Very informative information, Merle. Thanks for sharing.

  • Exactly Terri and you made a good choice.  Thank you for sharing.

  • Top Member

    This is exactly why I started my business Winning Domain Names service for internet marketers. I saw a need for this service to help internet marketers with their branding online by choosing the correct domain name and then I decided to create websites too. Since I had a knack for doing it. Sharing your post for you Merle.

This reply was deleted.