The mind is the most powerful organ of the body. It is the faculty of consciousness and thought. “The energy of the mind is the essence of life.” Aristotle. An important part of having a better peace of mind is learning to let go. Take these steps to have a greater peace of mind.
1. Let go of fear. It is the ultimate destroyer. Fear is a made up story about a future event that has not happen yet. Fear, judgment, anger, resentment, guilt, blame, worry, regrets, comparing, competing are all based in fear and will take you down because they are not loving towards yourself. Moreover, fear is simply taking a past experience and projecting it into the future with the anticipation of it happening again and then re-experiencing it in the present. When you think about this, you will say to yourself, why am I doing this?
More importantly, where does fear come from? If you have it, it is coming from you. The good news is that it’s a made up story and you can change the story because you are in control. Fear is not hanging on to you; you are hanging on to it. Occasionally, it is important to have a good laugh at yourself. When you catch yourself engaging in any of these actions - comparing, judging, worrying, say to yourself, isn’t this interesting what I choose to do to myself today then laugh it off and let it go.
2. Let go of judgment. When you judge someone, you are actually taking on his or her issues. It is much easier to promote what you love than to bash what you hate. Think about where you want to focus your time and energy.
3. Let go of anger. Holding on to anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die from it. The question is who wins in an argument. The answer is no one; then why do we argue? We do because we want to be right and make the other person wrong. We need to recognize that blaming someone for our own misery, no matter how justified and easy it is to do, will only keep us stuck and leave us feeling like victims. We must realize that we can choose emotional well being even when life does not turn out the way we want it.
4. Let go of comparing. There will always be someone with more or less, than what you have, more money, less money, more personality, less personality. There will always be people with less or more. Just because someone has more than you, it does not make him or her more than you. They may have more but it does not make them more. When you compare yourself with others, it may make you feel less than what they are. So don’t compare yourself with others. Compare yourself with the you yesterday.
5. Let go of competing. You don’t have to be the best; just do your best, with this way everybody wins.
6. Let go of regrets. Regretting what has happened in the past is a waste of vital energy. We can’t change the past. We all know that but we try to do it anyway. It’s over. The past doesn’t live here anymore unless you allow it in.
7. Let go of worry. There is no sanity in worry. Why worry about something that hasn’t happen yet? If you look at yourself worrying with an unconditioned mind, you would probably say something like - this is absurd - why am I doing this?
8. Let go of blame. Blaming is the ultimate need to control drama. When you need control, you are out of control. We blame others to keep from taking responsibility for our own actions and the results we produce.
9. Let go of guilt. It will keep you chained to the past. Letting go of guilt gives you true freedom and freedom is the only condition for happiness. You have to be free to be happy. If in your heart, you are clinging on to anything - anger, guilt or even possessions, you could never be free. Guilt is about self-forgiveness not about the other person. Let it go and move on.
Remember, “The human mind is our fundamental resource.” John F. Kennedy. Do not make any of the nine pieces above rob you of your piece of mind. For more on peace of mind, GO HERE!
Great post Nichola!
For the most part, WE are in control of our mind's processes. The nine characteristics are so true! Well said.
I agree with Bob about your post Nichola. Fear is a state of mind and this is what people must let go of because it will keep them from growing in a positive direction. Shared via Syndication Automation.
Excellent article, Nichola...great reminders...:)